France to lift restrictions on travel from the UK
France is to lift restrictions on travel to the country from the UK, effective Friday January 14. The French government had imposed a travel ban on 18 December 2021, in response to the growing number of cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 in the UK.
For more information on entry requirements, subject to whether a traveller is vaccinated, please click here to go to the UK Government pages or click here to use the Sherpa app.
Air France and KLM add Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) levy to all tickets
Air France and KLM have added a Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) levy to all tickets departing France and Netherlands from 10 January 2022.
The airline says that French regulations require the incorporation of 1% SAF on all fuels departing from France. As a result, a SAF contribution will be included in the price of each ticket, ranging from €1-4 in the economy cabin to €1.50-12 in the business cabin, depending on distance. The airline estimates that as a result of this, as well as voluntary contributions from corporate customers, over 15,000 tons of SAF will be used on its aircraft in 2022, around ten times more than the previous year.
Italy extends Covid restrictions to curb spread of Omicron
Italy has become the latest European country to tighten its Covid-19 rules. The country now requires visitors to use its “super green pass”, which certifies full vaccination or recovery from Covid infection, to gain access to hotels, restaurants, bars and all local and regional transport services (excluding taxis and international flights).
The new restrictions came into force on Monday 10 January and will apply until 31 March. For more information, please visit the Gov.uk website or the Italian Ministry of Health.
Travel news as a glance:
• British Airways to add four routes from London City this summer – Barcelona, Luxembourg, Milan and Thessaloniki
• Cathay Pacific reopens London Heathrow lounge
• Air France launches amenity kits made from 93 per cent recycled material
• Singapore Airlines further extends PPS Club and KrisFlyer elite statuses
• Avanti West Coast makes severe timetable cuts (mainly due to staff absence)
• Easyjet partners with Cranfield Aerospace Solutions on development of zero-emission aircraft
• Virgin Atlantic to launch Heathrow-Austin service in May 2022
• Premier Inn to increase room rates to offset rising inflation