Industry News 13.2.23
UK Border Force to strike on March 15
The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) has announced plans for a one-day strike involving 100,000 members on March 15, to coincide with Budget Day.
Border Force staff will be among the members involved in the walkout, following similar action over the Christmas holiday period.
The news follows planned industrial action involving 1,000 Border Force staff at major French ports over the half-term school holidays.
Government provides over £110 million for ‘guilt-free’ flying
Cutting edge new technologies that could enable electric flying taxis and hydrogen powered aircraft to take to the skies will be developed in the UK, thanks to £113 million of investment being announced by the Business and Transport Secretaries on 7 February.
Through the Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI) Programme, government and industry are jointly backing new exciting zero-carbon technologies to open up a future of guilt-free flying. This includes a project by Bristol-based electric aircraft manufacturer Vertical Aerospace to develop high-end, lightweight batteries, as well as projects led by Rolls-Royce to develop the building blocks of a liquid hydrogen combusting jet engine, which would enable flight without the carbon emissions. Read more here
Travel news as a glance:
- British Airways announces codeshare with South Africa’s Airlink
- Qatar Airways reopens Paris Premium Lounge
- UK rail expected to introduce low walk-up one-way fares.
- Lufthansa to operate B787-9 on routes to Dallas, Montreal, Denver, and Austin
- LATAM launches new menu for premium business passengers.
- Cathay Pacific reopens The Deck at Hong Kong International airport.